Netetiquette on seqfan

Olivier Gerard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Sat Feb 15 19:54:02 CET 2003

Chers membres de SeqFan,
Dear Seqfans,
Lieber Seqfan Mitglieder

Ce long message est en anglais, car c'est une langue lue
par la très grande majorité des membres de la liste. Si vous
souhaitez des éclaircissements en français, n'hésitez pas
à m'envoyer un message directement mais surtout pas à la liste.
Merci.

Dieser Text ist auf english geschrieben, da meisten Mitglieder
diese Sprache lesen und verstehen. Wenn Sie eine Erklärung
auf deutsch brauchten, wäre ich froh mit Ihnen privat mitzuteilen.
Bitte senden Sie direkt zu seqfan keine Kommentar darüber.

be a soft and cosy place for people interested in
integer sequences and their links with about everything
else. This also a place for people contributing to the OEIS.

+ This is not a forum, much less a newsgroup and it is not
intended as a loudspeaker for any frustrated ego. Private
arguments are to stay private. Off topic posts are not
welcome. Members subscribed to other
mailing lists may be confused, amused, even grateful.

+ I am the only administrator of this list and I will not
hesitate to unsubscribe (even temporarily) people from
it if they are threatening its cooperative and social character.
My decision will be immediate if they are causing longtime
members to unsubscribe.

Each time something of this kind happens, I discuss
it privately with the people involved and I explain them
what displeases me in their behaviour or in their post.
I simply expect them not to do it again.

Now being more specific:

* This is neither a list where to send a message about every sequence
in the OEIS.  If you have a remark, such as an easy correction
which does not require wide discussion, please send it to Neil
directly and he will appreciate whether to use it or not, to
ask one of the Editors to implement it, etc.

* If you have a problem with a sequence, and it happens to all of
us all the time, please try to judge before posting whether this is something
you ought to signal to the author, to Neil, to the list.
Sometimes, << 'is added moment of thought >> will even prevent you
(this time only, alas) from making a fool of yourself.

* Of course, curious or interesting links or facts that you suspect
or establish about a sequence, or between sequences, proposals about
sequences to compute or to check especially if you need help or
advice to them are welcome, as are technical or terminological
questions, and suggestions BUT:
	- for mathematical facts and definitions, please check first
	your own reference books and publicly available resources
	such as our member Eric Weisstein's  Mathworld. You will even
	have a chance to learn something you did not expect.
	- for suggestions about the OEIS, read first the various pages
	of Neil's site, even better read the archive of the list where
	many ideas have been discussed.  You will also have this way
	a feeling of Neil's management decisions over these years.
	Remember that the HIS, then EIS, then OEIS regroups now
	more than thirty years of hard work.

By the way, I think there should be a FAQ for seqfan.  If anyone is
willing to help me compile it, please email me directly and we will
setup a working program.

* Long mail signatures are discouraged.
 - If you want to advertize some of your publicly available material
 or share a tool or resource you find useful for mathematics or integer
 sequences, do it one time, in a message, and that's it.
 - I don't care, and neither do most members, about anyone's position,
 affiliation, titles, webpage, internet provider, feeling about any
 local, international or intergalactic issue, proficiency in ascii art,
 usw. Your email address and your name, the only
 thing relevant as far as an email dialogue is concerned are already
 included in your message.

I stay at your disposal for any further comment of the Seqfan Mailing
List policy, but by private email, not to the list.

faithfully yours,

Olivier