Obscure sequences

Antti Karttunen karttu at megabaud.fi
Mon Feb 17 20:32:11 CET 2003

My suggestion for avoiding too much obscurity:

Create intermediate sequences, to which your principal
gem is related by simple means, and suddenly
once opaque definition may get much clearer.
Instead of three paragraphs of cumbersome English,
one may have a composition of three functions:
 a(n) = Axxxxxx(Ayyyyyy(Azzzzzz(n))).

Don't care even if some of those intermediate
sequences were too "simple", because somebody else
might find them also as useful little "tools".
For some of my own dumber ones I add: Used
to compute Ayyyyyy, as a justification
for their "frivolousness".

Characteristic functions and "inverse" functions
of certain N -> N injections can be also useful
(in the latter case values outside the original function's
range indicated with e.g. 0 or -1) to depict other
sequences.

Terveisin,

Antti.