[seqfan] Hexagrams and other combinatorial symbols in Unicode. (Was: Re: Bell number)

Antti Karttunen Antti.Karttunen at iki.fi
Thu Jul 3 12:47:18 CEST 2003

Frank Ellermann wrote Tue, 29 Apr 2003:

> y.kohmoto wrote:
>
> > I think Japanese is the most mathematical language.
> > Because it has all names of partitions of an 5-element set.
> [...]
> > You can see all figures and kanjis and names of 52 cases
>
> 2 ** 6 = 64 > 52, Chinese wins. <gd&r>  Bye, Frank

There are now hexagrams in Unicode:

  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-4.0/U40-4DC0.pdf

The order seems strange, but I guess it's the other of the
traditional orders present in I Ching (as I remember was
explained by Martin Gardner in his venerable SciAm column),
the other being just an order disctated by the binary expansions
of the integers 0 - 63.

But what is this:
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-4.0/U40-1D300.pdf
"Tai Xuan Jing Symbols" ???

Clearly, http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A007089
should contain a link there.

So, if there are so much free space among the upper half
of the 32-bit codepoints, then why not suggest a specific
range for the 52 or (53/54) Genji-mon also?
Those who have not followed this thread from the start,
please follow the John Fiorillo's and Kazuhiro Kunii's links from
http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A000110

After having get that approved, it would natural to suggest
other gems from the combinatorial cornucopia, all the denizens
of the Catalania upto a certain size, etc.
(Am I joking or not? I don't know. But some people seriously want
Klingon script to be approved into Unicode.)

Terveisin,

Antti