sequences related to table indexing

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Wed Jul 2 19:55:30 CEST 2003

I think it might be good to make an index entry or some similar page
discussing sequences related to indexing tables and how they are used, and
link to it in various places (eg the FAQ, table display pages, etc).

For example A025581 and A002262 are related to virtually every sequence
derived by scanning a table along the antidiagonals.

I also sometimes use a different scan order, with n = A000695(i) + 2
A000695(j), and there may be others.

And doubtless still other sequences are used to index other structures,
such as trees or partitions.

Referring to these sequences and their conventional use explicitly in every
TABL entry seems excessive.

On the other hand the commentaries often only vaguely refer to a "table" or
"triangle", and usage may be inconsistent.

Centrally documenting this might be particularly helpful for new users and
submissions.

A small addition (I'd be happy to supply a first draft) in this area might
be helpful.  What do you think?