uned sequences A071339 - A071341

all at abouthugo.de all at abouthugo.de
Mon Jun 9 00:08:01 CEST 2003

David Wasserman <dwasserm at mail.earthlink.net> schrieb am 08.06.2003,
04:12:10:
> Dear Seqfans,
>     I would suggest deleting these three, but first I'll ask if
> anyone disagrees.  I did find one interesting idea in these
> sequences: A004018 can be thought of geometrically, as the number of
> integer lattice points on the circle of radius sqrt(n).  I think that
> should be added as a comment to A004018.  However, I don't think
> these sequences represent a natural thing to do with this idea.
>     These three sequences are easily explained in terms of A004018:
> A071339(n) is (as the fomula shows) the maximum value of A004018
> between 0 and n^2.  A071340(n) and A071341(n) are the smallest and
> largest indices at which this maximum occurs.
>     When I look at A004018, what I want to know is what are its
> record values, and where do they occur.  These questions are answered
> by A071385 and A071383, which were submitted by the same author, and
> have already been accepted.
>
> Very respectfully,
> David Wasserman

David,

thank you for the time and effort to have a look at A071339-A071341 and
the seqs. derived from those. Basically I agree that a least some
cleanup is needed. Deleting the 3 seqs would need some consequential
editing work in the sequences A071342,..A071347 which were all
generated using the (unreadable :-<) Fortran program given in
A071339.

If we want to delete the 3 seqs, my idea would be to add a comment to
A004018, giving its geometric meaning as suggested above and
saying something like
"The maximum value of A004018 between 0 and n^2 and the smallest and
largest indices at which this maximum occurs can be computed
using a Fortran program given at
http://www.randomwalk.de/sequences/a004018.txt "
  (or otherwise stored somewhere in the OEIS)

I would then edit the program (remove the pointers to
A071339-A071341) and make it available on the given link.
If someone could create a few lines of Maple, Mathematica,...
code to do the same job would be great - I am aware that
not to many people in this community have access to
Fortran.

A cross-refence in A004018 to A071383, ..84, ..85
could also be useful.

Simply saying: All the information is in A004018 does not help
too much, because A004018 stops after the usual 3 lines and it
requires a program to actually compute the radius zones
in which lattice points with a given multiplicity (same r)
can occur.

The minimum what should be done is to replace the unreadable
Fortran program in A071339 by a link to an external file
(e.g. http://www.randomwalk.de/sequences/a071339.txt )
and to replace the X-refs to A071339 by this link.
I will create this file during the next days.

Let me know what your preferred solution is.

Thanks

Hugo Pfoertner