[seqfan, OEIS-ideas] More sequence show-script ideas.

Frank Ellermann Frank.Ellermann at t-online.de
Thu Jun 12 01:27:57 CEST 2003

Antti Karttunen wrote:

>> P.S.: But I refuse to patch each and every subject
[...]
> No, I wasn't forcing everybody to do the same... ;-)

I added this "P.S." because the message was NOT sent to SeqFan,
although the subject was "Re; [seqfan] Fludd's sequences". ;-)
Okay, let's continue in SeqFan:

> I'm thinking also about something like "a semi-intelligent
> sequence-plotter", i.e. from the page generated by
> Sequence-link we could have a Java-applet instantiated with
> the sequence terms (and the keywords)

That's a nice idea.  If you don't need the keywords you might
be able to use the format=4 or format=5 textarea, i.e. terms
formatted as [1,2,3 ,4,5,6 ,7,8,9] in one or more lines.  All
I know about Java applets is how to display "hello world" with
NetRexx, not enough for your idea. :-(

Just in case I'll add an id="something" to the textarea in the
next showtabl.c version.  Maybe that helps to do something with
the textarea in an applet.  More precisely, I have no idea, but
an additional id attribute cannot hurt. ;-)

> Note that many EIS sequences exceed the 2^64 - 1 limit
> of Java integers, so something like bignums would be
> necessary

Maybe http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/decNumber could also
do it, and I'd be surprised if that's not contained in NetRexx
(in a similar form), because Mike Cowlishaw is the author of
Rexx, NetRexx, and decNumber.

> I personally hate coding Java, but I could ask from sci.math
> or similar newsgroup, whether anything like that has been
> coded in Java or C and is available as open source,

Do you know GNU plot ?  I don't, or rather I deleted it from my
system, because I didn't like it.  But maybe it's what you want.
                         Bye, Frank