[OEIS-ideas] Using Ptplot with OEIS?

Antti Karttunen Antti.Karttunen at iki.fi
Thu Jun 12 13:08:52 CEST 2003

Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Antti Karttunen wrote:
>
> >> P.S.: But I refuse to patch each and every subject
> [...]
> > No, I wasn't forcing everybody to do the same... ;-)
>
> I added this "P.S." because the message was NOT sent to SeqFan,
> although the subject was "Re; [seqfan] Fludd's sequences". ;-)
> Okay, let's continue in SeqFan:
>
> > I'm thinking also about something like "a semi-intelligent
> > sequence-plotter", i.e. from the page generated by
> > Sequence-link we could have a Java-applet instantiated with
> > the sequence terms (and the keywords)
>
> That's a nice idea.  If you don't need the keywords you might
> be able to use the format=4 or format=5 textarea, i.e. terms
> formatted as [1,2,3 ,4,5,6 ,7,8,9] in one or more lines.  All
> I know about Java applets is how to display "hello world" with
> NetRexx, not enough for your idea. :-(

Just noticed that a lots of things like these seem to be written,
easily found when one searches from www.google.com with the keywords
"javaplot" or "java plot".
The most professional of them (but still free) seems to be
Ptplot, written by Edward A. Lee and Christopher Hylands
see:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/java/ptplot5.2/ptolemy/plot/doc/main.htm

This is from their FAQ:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/java/ptplot5.2/ptolemy/plot/doc/ptplotfaq.htm

1. General

1.1 What Is Ptplot?
     Ptplot is a Java 2-D graphing component. Ptplot can be used in applets and applications. The top-level Ptplot page describes Ptplot further.
1.2 How do I pronounce 'ptplot'?
     pee-tee-plot. Unlike with Ptolemy, the initial p in the pt is pronounced.
1.3 What is the copyright?
     Ptplot is released under the fairly liberal UC Berkeley copyright, see copyright.txt. Most files have the copyright at the top, for example, see Plot.java.

     Ptplot is free for academic and commercial use. You an incorporate it into products, but you need to include follow the instructions in the copyright notice.

     This copyright is based on the Tcl copyright that was used when Prof. Ousterhout was developing Tcl here at UC Berkeley. This copyright was also used in Ptolemy Classic,
     which has been used in commercial products.

     If you use Ptplot in a product, and you would like us to include a pointer to your use in our Third Party uses of Ptplot page, then send email to
     ptplot at ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu
1.4 How do I contact the authors?
     The primary author of Ptplot is Professor Edward A. Lee. Christopher Hylands is a coauthor. William Wu and Lukito Muliadi contributed code. You can contact the authors
     via ptplot at ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu
1.5 Is there a mailing list?
     We maintain the ptplot-announce alias for announcing new ptplot releases. This alias is for Ptplot announcements only. Thus, you cannot post to this group. To subscribe
     to this group, send email to ptplot-announce-request at ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu with the word subscribe in the body, not the header.
1.6 What is the relationship between xgraph and ptplot?
     The introduction contains a description of the relationship between xgraph and ptplot.
     Note that you can download sources and binaries for pxgraph, an extension to xgraph from http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/other/pxgraph.htm
1.7 What is the relationship between ptplot and Ptolemy II?
     Ptolemy II is a set of Java packages supporting heterogeneous, concurrent modeling and design. One of the packages that is shipped with Ptolemy II is Ptplot. For more
     information about Ptolemy II, see http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/. We usually do a release of Ptolemy II once a year. As part of the Ptolemy II
     release process, we usually do a standalone Ptplot release.

2. Installation questions

2.1 How do I download Ptplot?
     http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/java/ptplot.htm has links to the tar and zip files.
2.2 What platforms does Ptplot run under?
     Ptplot was developed under JDK 1.3, which requires the Java Plug-in.

     Ptplot will also work under Java 1.4.0, but note that Java 1.4.0 has a bug that prevents some applets from working well if Ptplot is installed in a directory that has spaces in the path name, see the
     troubleshooting page for details.

     If you don't want to require your users to install the JDK plug-in, then try using Ptplot 3.1 or earlier.
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^                ^^^^^^^^^^
etc...

The installation of yet another plug-in seems to be only draw-back.
(I finally found the page http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html
from Sun's site, and started loading the plugin
"J2SE v 1.4.1_02 with Sun ONE Studio 4 update 1, Community Edition"
whatever that means, Windows installation-executable, size only 92 megabytes,
and taking about two hours to download here.)

So I have to check whether that earlier version Ptplot 3.1 would be enough
for OEIS purposes.

What do you think?

Yours,

Antti