some puzzle seqs not in OEIS!

Dean Hickerson dean at math.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 16 12:32:19 CEST 2003

Neil asked:

> Can anyone fill in any of the gaps?
> 3  -6,-8,0,32,120, ?

a(n) = n * (2^n - 8)

> 11  2,4,3,6,10,7,14,16,15,18,22,19, ?

So far the first differences have period 6:  2,-1,3,4,-3,7, 2,-1,3,4,-3.

> 15  2,2,1,3,2,3,4,2,6,5,2, ?

Broken into groups of 3, the n-th group has n+1, 2, n(n+1)/2.

I really hate these tests.  Sometimes the puzzles are fun to solve, but
the authors always seem to have the opinion that their answers are the
only correct ones.  Since they're obviously wrong about that, why should
I believe that they're qualified to judge my IQ?

This test is no different:  "For each question there is only one correct
answer. ... there will be no feedback to any message asking for the
correctness of a given answer or reasoning."

Dean Hickerson
dean at math.ucdavis.edu