Re permanents / twin prime conjecture / OEIS

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sat Nov 1 22:02:27 CET 2003

Dear Seqfans,
In about 10 minutes there will be a new version
of the OEIS which is more-or-less up-to-date.

In the past 24 hours there have been a lot of emails posted
to this list about permanents and determinants of (0,1) matrices,
and also about the twin prime conjecture and Cino's sequences.
I did not search through these messages for possible
updates to the OEIS (well, I tried to, but there were
too many messages and it was usually unclear which
sequence they were referring to).

If there are updates that are needed, please send them in using the
usual web page.

There are a lot of new sequences from Cino that are in the OEIS.
I found them somewhat unclear, and the connection with the
twin prime conjecture was not mentioned.  So I marked most
of them as "uned".

Another thing:  if you submit a long-winded and incoherent
comment on some sequence, full of ungrammatical sentences,
misspellings and unclear remarks, don't be surprised if
I do not use it!

And another: I find myself making the same corrections to
sequences from certain people over and over.  After I have
made the same correction (for example, reformatting sequences
based on triangles, correcting misspellings, etc.)
40 times I get a little tired of doing it.

If you start to notice that your sequences are being silently rejected,
that may be the reason.

I recommend that you always compare the edited versions
of the sequences as they appear in the OEIS with what you submitted.
And learn from the changes!   This applies especially to
people who have been submitting sequences for a long time.

Now would be a good time to learn how to prepare your
sequences in the correct style.

I have recently had to give out several yellow cards (to use
football (soccer) terminology).  Don't make me give out any red cards.

NJAS