Email address security...

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 08:37:38 CEST 2004

Returning to the question of email address security from OEIS.....

Rather than come up with increasingly interesting ways to disguise the
email address (I still like my idea from a year or so ago about
automatically making GIFs) then we might ask why the email address is
present at all?

Presumably, so that a (human) browser can contact a contributor with
questions, comments etc.

So what about something like this:

	- each contributor has a contributor ID assigned on first contribution
	- Neil's database stores "contributor profiles" that contain the email
address of the contributor
	- a link is provided on each sequence that says "Contact Contributor"
and leads to an HTML form that the human browser fills in
	- the server sends an email to the right place, after which the
contributor is free to respond in the usual fashion (the Reply-To field
being set by the server to the (human) browser's email address)
	- the contributor can edit their own profile so that a change of email
address is automatically valid for every sequence contributed by that
contributor

The email address is never visible to anyone unless the contributor
chooses to reply directly....

It sounds complex, but is actually readily automated.. there are plenty
of free scripts around to manage lists in this fashion...