converting sequences to music - help needed

Donald Willard dwillard at prairie.cc.il.us
Mon Apr 26 22:33:04 CEST 2004

Milton Babbitt at the Columbia-Princeton Music Center has used the Mark
II RCA Synthesizer to compose post-Webern total control music, meaning
using music elements such as duration, tone color, dynamics, etc. as
well as pitch to create form.  The Synthesizer, if it still exists, is
fed by paper roll with holes in it that specify each parameter of
music.  This was one of the very first synthesizers and contains old
vacuum tubes.  As Babbitt is also a mathematician he knows all about
sets and so forth and uses "pitch sets" in his compositions.  He has
been followed by others with other kinds of synthesizers and would be
the person to contact about music+mathematics.  Another would be Iannis
Xenakis, who uses the Laws of Large Numbers in his compositions.
However, Babbitt must be retired by now and would be very old if still
alive.  The Columbia-Princeton Music Center or Center for Experimental
Music or some such name would probably know.