converting sequences to music - help needed

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 27 00:05:22 CEST 2004

Neil Sloane wrote:

>Does any seqfan know about synthesizing music?
>
>I would like to convert certain sequences to music,
>to hear what they sound like.
>
>Thanks!  Neil

I bet there are quite a few sequences which sound somewhat musically
interesting when converted to musical notes.

A few items:

1)

It might be advantageous, in many cases, to take the integers (mod 12)
before converting  them to notes.

But the main purpose of item (1) is to point out that we can use other
scales than the 12-tone.

As I recall reading, the most "natural" numbers of notes/octive form the
denominators of the convergents to log_2(3):

http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A005664

...5, 12, 41, 53,...

2)

An experiment:
Maybe someone can program their computer to randomly download sequences
from the EIS, convert the integers to notes (perhaps first taking them
mod12, or mod-whatever), then have their computer perform these
"compositions" for them.

The human subject in this experiment could rate each melody, without
knowing what the sequences' numbers/names are.

If any of the melodies sound particularly interesting, the person could
then post the sequence number or name to seq.fan.
(We would probably want the computer to play the same number of measures
{probably a power of 2} for each sequence, no matter how many integers
are in the EIS sequence, just to be fair to each sequence.)

3)

I wonder how, if we are trying to automate the music-creating process
completely (such as with the experiment above), the notes' lengths should
be assigned. The easiest thing to do is  just have each note be a
quarter-note. But we could have another sequence's integers represent the
note's lengths in each measure, each integer being taken (in a simple
song-creating program) mod 6 in a 4-beat measure (4 1/4 notes, 2 1/4 note
+ 1/2 note {3 ways to do this}, 2 1/2 notes,1 whole note).

thanks,
Leroy Quet