Simple Conjecture

Franklin T. Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Aug 29 23:20:01 CEST 2004

Ralf Stephan <ralf at ark.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>> I would like to know if the conjecture made in the
>> comment, below, has already been proven or at least has
>> a name.
>> Apparently (not sure if this is a conjecture or has been proven
>> by someone else) if (z(n)) is any sequence of integers (not all zero)
>> satisfying the forumla z(n) = 2(z(n-2) - z(n-1)) + z(n-3) then
>> |z(n+1)/z(n)| -> golden ratio phi + 1 = (3+sqrt(5))/2
>
>This is easy to prove. Such sequences have the g.f. P(x)/(1+2x-2x^2-x^3)
>and the denominator has the factors 1-x and 1+3x+x^2. Thus, the closed
>form involves a constant term plus sequences satisfying
>a(n+2)=-3a(n+1)-a(n) which are of form c*r^n+d*s^n with r,s the roots
>of 1+3x+x^2.

Actually, not quite: the conjecture as stated is false.  That x-1 factor means that any constant sequence satisfies the recurrence (this can be seen to be obviously true from looking at the recurrence).  It is true that any non-constant sequence satisfying the recurrence will approach phi+1 in the limit, for the reasons outlined by Ralf.

--
Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.