another puzzle

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Fri Jan 16 00:15:54 CET 2004

Bob said:

>Neil,
>
>        I have a plausible guess. This comes from heraldery and denotes the rank or
>status of the bearer. Thus this is the number of holders of each rank.
>
>Bob.
>

>> %S A000001 2 29 590 7011 60324
>> %N A000001 "Gold, with six bars, or with the visor raised (in full face) for royalty"
>> "Silver, with five bars, (in full face) for a duke or marquis"
>> "Silver, with four bars, with visor raised (in profile) for an earl, viscount or baron"
>> "Steel, without bars, and with visor open (in full face) for a knight or a baronet"
>> "Steel, with visor closed (in profile) for a squire or a gentleman"

Me:  so we are to imagine a country with 2 royals (king and queen),
29 dukes, etc.   If this is England then maybe Debrett's Peerage will
give confirmation.  They have a web site: www.debretts.co.uk

Maybe they have a table of the number of each rank?
Could someone check?    Of course some Honourable sequence fan
may already have the book?

Neil