On the importance of sequences

Ed Pegg Jr edp at wolfram.com
Mon Mar 1 20:47:48 CET 2004

I am annoyed at the lack of a sequence in an important paper,
so I thought I might rant about it.

I wanted to explore the "standard" form of complex continued
fractions.  Here in front of me is Ergotic Theory of Complex
Continued Fractions, by Asmus Schmidt.  I have several other
papers and books.

None of them has an actual sequence!  Just a description of
a rather complicated method.  Not a single line in any of them
such as:  "By this method, the complex continued fraction of
Pi would be {3+i, ....}"

So, I rant.  A sequence would have been very useful to me.

--Ed Pegg Jr