Order of returned sequences?

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sun May 30 18:08:06 CEST 2004

Let me quote a reply I sent to Gordon.  He said:

I guess the question then becomes - given that the partition numbers
are the 41'st sequence, why was this not included in the "first N
matches" (and then of course, get sorted to the top of the list).

In other words, in what order are the sequences searched to compile the
list of N?

(Maybe it would make sense to ensure that the core sequences are always
searched before others?)

gordon

To which I replied:

they are scanned in the order in which they
appear in the OEIS, which is the same order i have always
used, roughly lexicographic

keep in mind that many foolish people will enter
the sequence 1 .  this matches roughly 90,000 entries.

It's as if one of the commonest things people google is the letter e.

So it's not fair to compare the OEIS and Google

Having said that, i certainly admit that the search mechanism
that I use could be improved.  But I don't have time right now.

But things work pretty well, i think.  Remember that if
you want to find the A-number for a classic sequence, like the primes,
use the Index.  For the rest of the sequences, you
will not get enough matches for the problem to arise.

NJAS