[SeqFan] Re: Order of returned sequences?

Antti Karttunen Antti.Karttunen at iki.fi
Mon May 31 12:58:01 CEST 2004

Gordon Royle wrote:

> How is the list of returned sequences determined if there are lots of
> matches?
>
> For example, I wanted to find the sequence of (integer) partitions of
> a number, so I typed in the first few values
>
>     1,2,3,5,7,11,15,22
>
> and got a whole stack of "subsidiary" series that happen to coincide
> with the partition numbers for small values of n (eg partitions into
> at most 8 parts, partitions into at most 9 parts etc) - but I did not
> get the partition numbers.
>
> If, on the other hand, I entered
>
>     1,2,3,5,7,11,15,22,30
>
> then I got the "master sequence"  A000041, which is the partition
> numbers.

As a temporary (partial) solution to this problem I suggest the following
OEIS-etiquette: Whenever you submit subsidiary/derived (or should one
even say
"degenerate") sequence, then add also a link to the "main sequence",
for example as "otherwise like Partition numbers proper (A000041),
except that
here we allow partitions into at most 8 parts" or such.
Also, if there is wholly accidental match for the initial terms
with a well-known sequence, like in one quite far-out sequence
that I have not yet submitted (and might never do),
which begins as 1,2,3,5,8,13, then a comment like
"By coincidence, the sequence begins just like Fibonacci numbers (A000045)",
would be in order, to keep OEIS usable.

Terveisin,

Antti