Are A055999 and A074171 somehow the same?

Dean Hickerson dean at math.ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 5 12:29:36 CEST 2004

I wrote:

> I recommend that A074171 be deleted, unless someone else wants to spend the
> time to clarify the description.

Michele Dondi asked:

> Why? After all isn't OEIS supposed to be a comprehensive encyclopedia of
> integer sequences?

No.  Such an encyclopedia would be uncountably infinite.  The OEIS is only
supposed to contain sequences which are useful or interesting.  This
sequence is a trivial variation on a sequence that's already in the OEIS.
If the sequence entry were clear and correct, then I'd be inclined to leave
it in, since it was, at least momentarily, of interest to at least one
person.  But the description was unclear, and would require some editor to
fix it.  I think that would be a waste of the editor's time.

Perhaps I'm just tired.  In the past I spent a lot of time fixing sequences
for the OEIS.  But most of that time was spent on sequences which were of
little interest (to me, at least), and which, I believe, would never arise
in serious research.  I've come to view that time as wasted, which is one
reason that I hardly ever edit sequences any more.

Dean Hickerson
dean at math.ucdavis.edu