Counting Self-intersecting n-gons

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 17:06:59 CEST 2005

Don't know enough about homeomorphisms to tell you.

The basic idea is that if two "good" polygons are equivalent, I can deform one
into the other continuously, with all the intermediates being good polygons as
well.  Because we stay within the space of good polygons, the transformation
will not allow, say, a vertex to pass through an edge or three edges to
intersect at a point during the transformation.  Is this a homeomorphism?

About the graph observation, I don't think the polygon equivalence is the same
as the graph equivalance.  For example, consider the following two pentagons:

X: (0,0) (4,0) (2,3) (3,2) (0,4)
Y: (0,0) (4,0) (1,2) (2,1) (0,4)

I believe that X and Y are distinct polygons according to my definition, but
their graphs are isomorphic.

The six pentagons I found were the two above plus

(0,0) (1,0) (2,1) (1,2) (0,1)  (simple pentagon)
(0,0) (2,1) (0,1) (1,0) (1,2)  (pentagram)
(1,0) (1,1) (0,1) (3,0) (0,3)
(2,0) (2,2) (0,2) (0,3) (3,0)