Counting Self-intersecting n-gons

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 17:31:14 CEST 2005

Thank you, I checked out the OEIS sequences related to the reference.

It seems that Welch and Golomb were interested in counting
self-intersecting polygons with vertices equally spaced on a circle.
I am interested in counting self-intersecting polygons without this
restriction.

The problems are not the same, as there are self-intersecting polygons
which cannot be realized with vertices on a circle.  For example,
start with a pentagram and move one vertex to the center of the
pentagram.  The resulting self-intersecting pentagon is not isomorphic
to any of the polygons treated by Welch & Golomb.