An application for zeroless squares

Paul C. Leopardi leopardi at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 30 03:18:03 CEST 2005

Hi Matthjs,
I don't understand your puzzle. Maybe it is not completely specified below?
Thanks

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:56 pm, Matthijs Coster wrote:
> Hello Seqfans,
>
> A month ago there was a discussion about zeroless squares.
> If you are interested read the (recreational) application below.
>
> Suppose you have to solve a crossword-puzzle of n x n.
> You have to fill it by the digits 0,...,9 and all the descriptions are
> equal, namely square of a number. How would you solve this
> crossword-puzzle, let's say crosssquare-puzzle?
>
> Important for solving this puzzle is to omit zeros at the first position.

Any number can be repesented using the digits 0 to 9. So are you asking for
any square number in any position of your n x n square, or are there any
other constraints?

> Well the 1 x 1 crosssquare-puzzle is easy. Only 1, 4, 9 are the solutions.

Why are 16, 25 etc. not solutions? Do you mean you only want single digit
squares? Then only 1, 4 or 9 can be in any position of the n x n square.

> If you are interested:
> number of solutions of the 2x2 puzzle is 4,

Are any of the five following 2 x 2 squares:

1 1
1 1

1 1
1 4

1 1
1 9

4 4
4 4

4 4
4 9

solutions?

Do you mean that you have no repetition? Then you would need to allow more
than 1, 4 and 9 in each position.

Are any of the six following 2 x 2 squares:

1  4
9 16

1  9
4 16

 1 4
16 9

1 16
4  9

 1 9
16 4

1 16
9  4

solutions?

Do you mean that each position in the n x n square is a digit of an n digit
number read across or downwards, and that each n digit number must be a
square?

Then are any of the six following  2 x 2 squares:

0 1
1 6

0 4
4 9

1 6
6 4

3 6
6 4

6 4
4 9

8 1
1 6

solutions? Are only the last four solutions because they do not contain
numbers with leading zeros? Is this why you say there are only four solutions
for 2 x 2?

Without further specification of the puzzle, I can't understand the rest of
your message.

Also, what happens in number bases other than ten, for example in binary?