An application for zeroless squares

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 30 04:23:56 CEST 2005

If it were a crossword, then there would be 2 x n rather boring clues...

	Across
	---------

	1. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)
	2. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)
	n. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)

	Down
	--------

	1. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)
	2. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)
	n. A square number not starting with zero (n digits)

The "not starting with zero" comes from this line in the original
description...

>> Important for solving this puzzle is to omit zeros at the first
>> position.

Just as in a crossword, where one letter goes in each square, we are
allowed one digit per square only...

> 0 1
> 1 6
>
> 0 4
> 4 9
>
> 1 6
> 6 4
>
> 3 6
> 6 4
>
> 6 4
> 4 9
>
> 8 1
> 1 6
>
> solutions? Are only the last four solutions because they do not contain
> numbers with leading zeros? Is this why you say there are only four
> solutions
> for 2 x 2?

Yes, you are correct here... only the last four are legitimate...

(It took me a few minutes to unpack it all as well..)

Cheers

Gordon