Periodic Antisymmetric Matrices counted by Hermitte Numbers

wouter meeussen wouter.meeussen at pandora.be
Thu Dec 8 00:54:22 CET 2005

Hi Gottfried,

sorry for the long interuption. Busy at work.
I was just pointing out that these matrices form a combinatorial construct that is counted by the
(unsigned) Hermite Numbers. Somewhat rare I think.
formula: 2^(k/2) Mod[k+1,2] k!/k!!
They seem to be equivalent to all permutations of 2n with the restriction that all cycles have
length two (pairings): example:
{1,5},{2,7},{3,4},{6,8} stands for the matrix

0  0  0  0  x  0  0  0
0  0  0  0  0  0  x  0
0  0  0  x  0  0  0  0
0  0 -x  0  0  0  0  0
-x 0  0  0  0  0  0  0
0  0  0  0  0  0  0  x
0 -x  0  0  0  0  0  0
0  0  0  0  0 -x  0  0

and now each +x can be choosen as +1 or -1. Hence the 2^(k/2).

The crux is to grok why all these and only these (antisymmetric) matrices are periodic, and why with
period 4.

W.