several messages (Fibonacci)

Michele Dondi blazar at pcteor1.mi.infn.it
Tue Dec 13 19:08:46 CET 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, kohmoto wrote:

>    %N A000001 a(n)=Prime(InversePrime(a(n-2))+a(n-1))

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, kohmoto wrote:

>    %N A000001 a(n)=Fibonacci(InverseFibonacci(a(n-2))+a(n-1))

Both your sequences are of the form

   (1)    a(n)=F(G(a(n-2))+a(n-1)),

where G=F^{-1} N->N (or Z->Z) may not be well defined for all integers,
but that doesn't matter, for a(n-2) is in Im(F) anyway.

Whatever, what you get is in any case a subsequence a(n)=F(b(n)) of
F(n), whereas the sequence b(n) of subscripts may be a more interesting
object. Obviously it obeys the recursion

   (2)   b(n)=b(n-2)+F(b(n-1)),

so you don't mess with inverse functions. Also, while we're there we may
also take into account

   (3)   b(n)=F(b(n-2))+F(b(n-1))

and

   (4)   b(n)=F(b(n-2))+b(n-1).

However I still consider this kind of sequences fundamentally
uninteresting, except possibly for particular choices of F that would lead
to some interesting arithmetic property.

If F(n) is pi(n), then the rate of growth of them will be slower
than that of Fibonacci numbers (especially for (4)), but how much slower?
How 'bout other asymptotic properties? A priori I don't exepect stonishing
arithmetic properties though...

If F(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number, then (some of) said sequences _may_
be of some interest because the recursion formulas have a very similar
form to that defining F(n), and while F(n) grows exponentially for large
n, F(n) <= n for 0 <= n <= 5, so these sequences will be smaller than F(n)
for some initial terms to boost up from some point on. Well, depending on
the initial values, that is.

Just a few random thoughts,
Michele
--
Ain't got no future or a family tree,
But I know what a prince and lover ought to be,