two integrals and a question about prime trinomials

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 09:40:06 CET 2005

Empirically it appears that A002426(n) is divisible by 3 exactly when
the base-3 representation of n includes the digit 2.  A similar
phenomenon happens with divisor 7.  A002426(n) appears to be
divisible by 7 exactly when the base-7 representation of n includes
the digit 3.  I would not be surprised if similar things happen
for other prime divisors.

The n for which A002426(n) is divisible by 3 forms a 3-automatic set,
and the analogous statement is true for 7.   If this generalizes to the
other primes, then what we seek is a proof that the union of p-automatic
sets with incompatible bases p is cofinite, such questions are to my
knowledge unanswerable at the present time.

BTW, given that the above observations about divisors 3 and 7 are
indeed true, Wilson's conjecture of recent messages would imply that
all but a finite number of elements of A002426(n) are divisible by 3
or 7.  This doesn't give much purchase in showing that A002426(n)
is composite for n > 4, however, since we have no idea how big the
largest offending n is, and empirically it looks rather large.