Perfect Abs

Hans Havermann pxp at rogers.com
Sun Jan 16 01:10:35 CET 2005

On January 13, Ed Pegg Jr. submitted A101367 and A101366 (both of which
I extended today). On the same day, T.D. Noe submitted A102531 and
A102532, which appear (on the surface) to be be Ed's two sequences with
the added inclusion of the known real perfects {6, 28, 496,...}.

Unfortunately, they use different Mathematica functions to determine
the sequences and while I don't understand why the Mathematica
functions should provide differing results in their application to
complex numbers, it appears they do:

DivisorSigma[1, 5 + 3 I] = 10 I
Total[Divisors[5 + 3 I]] = 8 + 8 I

and, as a result, (5 + 3 I) will appear in Ed's but not in Noe's
sequences.

For the same reason, (472 + 664 I) is a solution to Noe's sequences,
but not in Ed's. Perversely, (827 + 664 I) is a solution in Ed's
sequences, but not in Noe's.

Anyways, just thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention in the
hopes of clarifying the definitional aspects of these sequences.

Hans