a puzzle sequence that is going around

cino hilliard hillcino368 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 10:40:58 CET 2005

>From: Richard Guy <rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
>To: David Wilson <davidwwilson at comcast.net>
>CC: Sequence Fans <seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr>
>Subject: Re: a puzzle sequence that is going around
>Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:16:08 -0700 (MST)
>
>It was one of the answers suggested on the
>`King of Wales' webpage.    R.
>
>On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, David Wilson wrote:
>
>>The sequence generates a few other Google hits, one of them

>>references http://www.neopets.com/games/conundrum.phtml,

>>a page I cannot read because the neopets.com site is member-only.
>>Presumably this latter page is the Internet source of the sequence.
>>It seems odd that such a tough chestnut would be aimed at such
>>a young audience.

I joined the neopets. The sequence in question does come from there and is

Lenny's Conundrums

Wheee! We have a High Score Table now!

The current prize for the first 250 correct entries is a Lenny Conundrum
Plushie. You will also get a cool trophy that people can see when they do a
user lookup on you! And all correct entries will split the 10,000,000
Neopoint prize pool.

THIS WEEKS PUZZLE - ends next Thursday most probably

What is the missing value in the following sequence?

2616, 3, 11, 10850, ________, 25, 2038

Do you know the answer?!?
(please use keywords, and keep guesses under 50 characters)

This page puzzle page is not easy especially the anagrams. It often requires
member knowkedge
of the neopets page. The puzzles are Mensa type stuff and I was embarrased
to do so poor
on the first round of the past puzzles. It definitely ain't for elementary
schoollers.

Join and see for yourself. It looks like a fun page.

I put 42 in as my answer for the above. Hey I may get big Neopoints! even
though I cheated?

Here is a sample problem from past round 21.

Excuse me, Slave', said Princess Vyssa, 'I have a job for you'. 'What is
it?', Burlak groaned??? Princess Vyssa handed the sculptor a big ball of
clay. 'I would like some decorations for my new palace. I want you to build
me lots of little pyramids out of this clay. The base has to measure 8
centimeters by 8 centimeters, and they have to be 6 centimeters high..

Burlak looked at the ball of clay, and measured it. It's diameter was 20
centimeters, and it seemed to be a perfect sphere. He wondered how many
pyramids he could make... do you know?

It might be interesting to ask how would Archemidies approach this problem.

Have fun
Cino