Fwd: Re: a puzzle sequence that is going around

Paul C. Leopardi leopardi at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 16 12:17:40 CET 2005

Oops,
I replied to the message instead of the list.
Here's what I said.

Subject: Re: a puzzle sequence that is going around
Date: Sunday 16 January 2005 18:35
From: "Paul C. Leopardi" <leopardi at bigpond.net.au>
To: njas at research.att.com

Hi all,
See http://neopets.com/newnt/index.phtml?section=4080&week=26
The page states that the answers to conundrum Rounds 9, 16 and 25 were
2616, 3, 11, respectively. Was there a conundrum Round with 10850 as an
answer? Indeed!
http://petpages.neopets.com/newnt/index.phtml?section=9589&week=78
has 10850 as the answer to Round 36.

So, maybe there have been at least 100 Rounds, with answers:

  9:  2616
 16:     3
 25:    11
 36: 10850
 49: ?
 64:    25
100:  2038

If this is the case, then the answer to the puzzle is not a number at all,
 but "Abracadabra", which is listed at
http://petpages.neopets.com/newnt/index.phtml?section=9589&week=78
as the answer to Round 49.

The page http://neopets.com/newfeatures.phtml?arr=2004-08-30 does state that
2038 was an answer to a conundrum, but doesn't state which Round.

So, no proof, but the evidence available without signing up to Neopets
strongly suggests that this puzzle is not an integer sequence at all, and the
answer is "Abracadabra".
Best regards