two kinds of references

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Jul 7 19:15:04 CEST 2005

Emeric said:

> References in the OEIS are of two kinds:
> (i) references in which the considered sequence does appear;
> (ii) references that are only related - more or less remotely -
> with the topic of the sequence.
>
> Would it be possible to differentiate somehow (for example with an
> asterisk) between these two kinds of sequences?

Me:  i see there have been several follow-ups,
which i haven't had time to read yet.  But let me say
that i agree, and i have exactly this experience many times:

> I spend a lot of time looking up for those
> references. Then I find out that the references contain only
> generalities about "soandso" but nothing about the sequence
> Axxxxxx I am interested in.

On the other hand these generalities are always interesting
and educational, so the time is not totally wasted!
In fact time spent in the library is never wasted.

The best solution is to add in brackets,
on the same %D line, something like [background] or [suggested by]
or [related material]

NJAS