Virus mail and such

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 16:29:33 CEST 2005

Creighton Dement recently received a virus mail that appeared to be from me.

I know that my address is on somebody's infected computer, since I regularly
receive virus mail bounces from random servers.  I have taken all reasonable
steps within my knowledge and power to ensure that that infected computer is
not mine.  I run ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG antivirus, and do occasional
manual checks of my registry for unwanted DLLs, BHOs and startup programs.
I rarely send attachments, if I do, they will be innocuous formats such as
.jpg or .pdf files.  If you get a message from me with an attached
executable, such as a .exe, .pif, or .scr file, assume it's not from me.

Almost all viruses read address books, but I'ven never of one that adds
addresses to it.  Therefore, I assume that Creighton's and my own address
had been added to the address book of the offending machine in the normal
fashion.  This argues fairly strongly for a seqfan or math-fun subscriber
with an infected computer.  Maybe math-fun and seqfan should require a
certain level of virus protection from their subscribers.  Just a thought.