A092297 vs A106512

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 4 03:43:58 CEST 2005

The definition of A092297 clearly gives a(1)=0. There is a circular
annulus cut by one radius and you have to colour the single region
so that the radius has a different colour on each side.  This is
impossible so the count is 0.  In graph-theoretic terms it is a
single vertex with a loop on it.

In the case of A106512, your definition is not precise enough to
know what it is supposed to mean for n=1.  I infer from your
discussion here that you are discarding the loop in that case.

In my opinion, keeping the loop is more natural.  You are counting
sequences  c[0],c[1],...,c[n-1]  where, for each i,
   A.  c[i] \in {1,2,...k}
   B.  c[i] \ne c[(i+1) mod n]
At the moment you are discarding condition B only in the case n=0,
which does not appear natural to me.

Cheers, Brendan.

* Joshua Zucker <joshua.zucker at gmail.com> [050604 02:26]: