long sequence, or too many short ones? Znam's problem

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:56:02 CEST 2005

I've been wondering a similar issue.

As a matter of school spirit, I've wanted to add to the OEIS the
solutions to Znám's problem for k = 8, which were calculated by
Professor Lawrence Brenton and grad Ana Vasiliu here at Wayne State
University.

In a way, these are already "listed" in A075461, not just because of
our faith that the numbers exist even if they're not displayed, but
also because many of the solutions for k = 8 share initial terms with
those for lower k (as you know, 2, 3, 7, 43, ...; 2, 3, 7, 47, ...)

But with 744 terms total, the eighth term of each solution often being
longer than a phone number with area code, the only other option would
be to send in 93 sequences of 8 terms each, which even with an
ergonomic keyboard is probably a prescription for carpal tunnel
syndrome.

Alonso