Related sequences not related in database + question

Gerald McGarvey Gerald.McGarvey at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 01:39:42 CET 2005

are all substrings of {floor(sin(n))} contained in {floor(cos(n))} and
conversely ?

An attempt at a rough proof...
The cos(n) values and sin(n) values are both dense in (-1,1).
Given a cos(n) there is an m such that sin(m) is arbitrarily close to cos(n),
and also such that the derivative is arbitrarily close to the derivative of
cos(n).
In particular, given a substring of {floor(cos(n)} there is an m such that
sin(m)
is close enough to cos(n) (and the derivatives also close) so that the
substring of {floor(cos(n)} equals the substring of {floor(sin(n)} starting
at m
and of the same length (since cos and sin curves have the same shape).

Regards,
Gerald