Related sequences not related in database + question

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Nov 8 01:12:20 CET 2005

floor(cos(0)) = 1, which does not occur in floor(sin(n)); but other than that, all finite substrings in either occur in the other.  Both sequences are of the form floor(sin(n+K)), and the only case where (n+K)/(2Pi) is an integer is for n=0.  So leaving aside n=0, the value of floor(sin(x)) in some neighborhood of n+K is constant.  These intervals can be translated back to the starting point of the sequence, and intersected to give a single interval.  Since multiples of 1 mod 2Pi are dense, we can find n'+K' which is in that interval, providing the starting point for the matching sequence.  For the case n=0 with the sin function, we are restricted to a half-open interval starting at zero, but otherwise the same argument works.  (And, as indicated, n=0 for the cosine does not work.)

The same kind of argument will establish that the sequences for rounded sin and cos contain all of each other's finite subsequences.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.
Palatine, IL 60067
847-776-7645