[math-fun] Flags and antihistamines

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 18 05:27:22 CEST 2005

I don't know where to point you, but this subject has been treated before.
The last time we dealt with them, we were calling them "flag products".

There are two (interesting) kinds of flag products, the outer flag product,
where the longer row/column is at the edge, and the inner flag product,
where the shorter row/column is at the edge.

The star pattern on the US flag is an example of an outer flag product. It
is 5 stars high and 6 stars wide at the edge and has 50 stars.  Letting "o"
be the outer product, we have

   5 o 6 = 50.

It turns out that the outer flag product "o" is conjugate to the standard
integer product "*" via the pretty identity

  a o b = c   <=>   (2a-1) * (2b-1) = (2c-1).

Thus 5 o 6 = 50 corresponds to 9 * 11 = 99.

Similarly, the inner flag product is like your pill card, which has 1 pill
on one edge, 3 pills on the other and 10 pills altogether.  Letting "i" be
the inner flag product, we have

   1 i 3 = 10.

The inner flag product "i" also has a pretty conjugacy with the standard
integer product "*":

  a i b = c  <=>   (2a+1) * (2b+1) = (2c+1).

Again, 1 i 3 = 10 corresponds to 3 * 7 = 21.

Now, an outer flag composite would be a number of the form c = a o b where a
 >= 2 and b >= 2, that is, the number of stars in a US flag pattern 2 or more
stars on each edge.  This corresponds to (2c-1) = (2a-1) * (2b-1), that is
the odd number 2c-1 is a product of two odd numbers (2a-1) >= 3 and (2b-1)
 >= 3.  This is true precisely when 2c-1 is composite.  So an outer flag
composite is a number c where 2c-1 is a standard composite.

Similarly, an inner flag composite is a number of the form c = a i b where a
 >= 1 and b >= 1 (why 1 and not 2?).  This corresponds (2c+1) = (2a+1) *
(2b+1), and by similar reasoning to the last paragraph, an inner flag
composite is a number c where 2c+1 is a composite.

Your sequence 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 15... are precisely the numbers c which are
neither an inner flag composite nor an outer flag composite.  These would be
the numbers such that neither 2c-1 nor 2c+1 is a standard composite, that
is, 2c-1 and 2c+1 are both either 1 or prime.  These include c = 1 together
with those c such that 2c-1 and 2c+1 are a twin prime pair.  So your
sequence is A040040 prepended with 1.

And yes, all numbers starting at 3 are divisible by 3.