A121760/1: two (interesting?) sequences

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:59:30 CEST 2006

Exceptions that prove the rule, being both "base" and "nice":

 A014417 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A014417>
 Representation of n in base of Fibonacci numbers.
 A030101 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A030101>
 a(n) is the number produced when n is converted to base 2, reversed and
then converted back to base 10.
 A039724 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A039724>
 Numbers in base -2.
 A099542 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A099542>
 Rhonda numbers to base 10. An integer n is a Rhonda number to base b if the
product of its digits in base b equals b*Sum of prime factors of n
(including multiplicity).
 A037888 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A037888>
 a(n)=(1/2)*Sum{|d(i)-e(i)|} where Sum{d(i)*2^i} is base 2 representation of
n, and e(i) are digits d(i) in reverse order.
 A037183 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A037183>
 Smallest number which is palindromic (with at least 2 digits) in n bases.
 A048986 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A048986>
 Home primes in base 2: primes reached when you start with n, and (working
in base 2) concatenate its prime factors
(A048985<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A048985>);
repeat until a prime is reached (or -1 if no prime is ever reached). Answer
is written in base 10.
 A068505 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A068505>
 Value of n interpreted in base (b+1), where
b=A054055<http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A054055>(n)
is the largest digit in decimal representation of n.
 A005352 <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/A005352>
 Numbers n such that base -2 representation for -n read as binary number.
and 630 others.  So one asks, why are these base sequences nice and others
not?  Typically, it is indeed because of inherent mathematical structure, or
illumination of the base notation itself, or unexpected iterative behavior,
though that list is not exhaustive.