OEIS Keywords

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Aug 22 19:51:55 CEST 2006

I certainly agree that the current keyword system is a mess in some
places.  Herewith my cut on the existing keywords:

base: dependent on base used for sequence

This definition is quite unclear, and the application is wildly
variable.

bref: sequence is too short to do any analysis with

Clear enough.  This one is usually applied by Neil.

cofr: a continued fraction expansion of a number

Mostly clear.  There are some cases where this has been applied to
the numerators and/or denominators of the convergents.  I find 11
matches in the database for "keyword:cofr keyword:frac".

cons: a decimal expansion of a number

This also seems clear enough, although it need not be "decimal" - any
base will do.
Also, a note that the "base" keyword should not also be added, unless
bases were
used in defining the number itself.

core: an important sequence

This is a judgement call, but less problematic than other judgement
calls.  Very rarely
does a new sequence get this keyword - if it was really fundamental,
why wasn't it
there before.

dead: an erroneous sequence

Applied by Neil when errors are discovered.  Works fine.

dumb: an unimportant sequence

A judgement call, and one of the most difficult ones.  I don't think
this adds any real
value to the database.

dupe: duplicate of another sequence

Currently used only for 1 sequence, A048789.  Not really very useful;
let the comments
say it.

easy: it is very easy to produce terms of sequence

This is another one with wildly varying usage.  Sometimes this means:
"the sequence
has a simple expression for the Maple combinatorics package"; trying to
calculate it by
hand might take hours.  I don't think this one adds much value, either.

eigen: an eigensequence: a fixed sequence for some transformation - see
the files transforms and transforms (2) for further information.

While there are some borderline cases, this is clear enough.
Unfortunately, there are
many sequences it might apply to for which it is not present.  Might be
useful if it was
uniformly applied.

fini: a finite sequence

Straightforward.

frac: numerators or denominators of sequence of rationals

Simple and useful.  I would like some way to formally tie the two
sequences, so that
a program could generate the fractions.

full: the full sequence is given

Also straightforward.  A note that "fini" should also be specified
would be useful.

hard: next term not known, may be hard to find. Would someone please
extend this sequence?

Useful and sufficiently clear.  One might add a note that "more" need
not also be specified.

more: more terms are needed! would someone please extend this sequence?

Useful and sufficiently clear.  There are a couple of problems.  One is
that sometimes
someone will send in the additional terms, but the more keyword doesn't
get removed.

I also think this keyword should be applied to any sequence with less
than one full line of
values, unless there is a reason not to, because we want to have
sufficient data to
disambiguate this from other sequences.  Reasons not to include:
presence of "hard"
keyword; presence of "full" keyword; the next term is too big (in which
there should be
a comment to that effect) - I believe there was once a "huge" keyword
for this case,
but it is no longer used.

mult: Multiplicative: a(mn)=a(m)a(n) if g.c.d.(m,n)=1

Clear, and (now) pretty uniformly applied.

new: New (added within last two weeks, roughly)

Used by Neil.  Works.

nice: an exceptionally nice sequence

A judgement call.  Works better than "dumb", but it's very subjective.

nonn: a sequence of nonnegative numbers

Should specify that the terms present are nonnegative.

obsc: obscure, better description needed

Used by Neil.  Seems to perform its intended function.

sign: sequence contains negative numbers The %V, %W, %X lines (matching
the %S,T,U lines) give the signed sequence

Same as for nonn.

tabf: An irregular (or funny-shaped) array of numbers made into a
sequence by reading it row by row

This works.  I would like to have a formal way to specify the shape, so
that these can
be automatically formatted.

tabl: typically a triangle of numbers, such as Pascal's triangle, made
into a sequence by reading it row by row.

Generally works.

uned: Not edited. I normally edit all incoming sequences ...

Serves a useful function.

unkn: little is known; an unsolved problem; anyone who can find a
formula or recurrence is urged to let me know.

Seems to be useful.

walk: counts walks (or self-avoiding paths)

This seems clear.  I think there are a fair number of sequences it
applies to that don't
have it.

word: depends on words for the sequence in some language

Clear and useful, if only negatively.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters