OEIS Keywords

cino hilliard hillcino368 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 02:29:19 CEST 2006

Hi all,
Thanks for the further clarification antti and frank.

>From: franktaw at netscape.net
>To: antti.karttunen at gmail.com, seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr
>CC: hillcino368 at hotmail.com
>Subject: OEIS Keywords
>Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:51:55 -0400
>
>I certainly agree that the current keyword system is a mess in some places.
>  Herewith my cut on the existing keywords:

>base: dependent on base used for sequence
>
>This definition is quite unclear, and the application is wildly variable.
An amusing side to this is if you look up base in a thesaurus you will find
repugnant as a synonym.

>frac: numerators or denominators of sequence of rationals
>
>Simple and useful.  I would like some way to formally tie the two
>sequences, so that a program could generate the fractions.

Maybe this does what you want
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/frac.html

On a higher or more futuristic level though, I think we should be able to
mix letters with
numbers such as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,.. the sequence of hex
numbers. Just
letters for now. Recall, early mathematics was done in words for centuries
before the simplicity
of symbols evolved into the picture. However, in my opinion, it has gone too
much to the
esoteric invent symbols as you go today.

>nice: an exceptionally nice sequence
>
>A judgment call.  Works better than "dumb", but it's very subjective.
Indeed, if somehow a decree came down that we can only have 100 nice
sequences at any
one time, THAT would be nice.

How often do we discover a sequence and lo and behold find it is already out
there with the
"Atta Boy" nice attached to it. Then if I we notice that our GF is different
we submit a
comment and piggyback on the nice sequence. We all know "nice" is an
evolvement, since most
of the great sequence discoveries of math was made years ago and have long
been documented
in the literature. Perhaps the word nice can go with a star * system similar
to the movie industry.
Eg., ***** = core, **** = nice, *** = good, ** = fair, *=poor.

"Yes, I am opinionated but so is everyone else"

Have a nice day,
Cino