Demotion of Pluto as a planet

Gene Smith genewardsmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 09:33:12 CEST 2006

On 8/25/06, William Rex Marshall <w.r.marshall at actrix.co.nz> wrote:

> From: "Gene Smith" <genewardsmith at gmail.com>
>
>  But Xena is a
> > full-fledged planet!
>
> Not according to the IAU:
> http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0603/index.html

I know. My comment was about what the definition says.

If you use Steven Soter's "planetary discriminant" you get the bizarre
result that Earth and Venus are more planet-like than Jupiter or Saturn, and
that Neptune is the least planet-like of the major planets.

Here's a Wikipedia article I just did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_system_objects_by_planetary_discriminant

Here's an integer sequence, the number from the Sun in order of planetary
discriminant: 3, 2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 7, 8. Here's another, order in  terms of
mass by decending planetary discriminant: 5, 6, 1, 2, 7, 8, 3, 4.