OEIS Keywords

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Wed Aug 23 04:03:10 CEST 2006

[To Cino: your formatting is consistently horrible, please fix]

* cino hilliard <hillcino368 at hotmail.com> [Aug 23. 2006 11:44]:
> [...]

> On a higher or more futuristic level though, I think we should be able to
> mix letters with
> numbers such as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,.. the sequence of hex
> numbers. Just
> letters for now.

I do not understand what you mean here.

> >nice: an exceptionally nice sequence
> >
> >A judgment call.  Works better than "dumb", but it's very subjective.
> Indeed, if somehow a decree came down that we can only have 100 nice
> sequences at any
> one time, THAT would be nice.

That would be dumb!
The discovery of a new nice sequence does not render
any known one not-nice-anymore all of a sudden!

Note a sequence can actually become (more) nice in the view of new facts:
Silly example: The sequence
  http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A055881
gets nicer if you note that it is a universal sequence
for permutations as follows.

Start with identity (permutation, here for 4 elements):
 [ 0 1 2 3 ]
Then update to next (in a certain order) by reversing
the first a(n)+1 elements of the permutation, i.e.

 [ 0 1 2 3 ]  (id)
 [ 1 0 2 3 ]  1
 [ 2 0 1 3 ]  2
 [ 0 2 1 3 ]  1
 [ 1 2 0 3 ]  2
 [ 2 1 0 3 ]  1
 [ 3 0 1 2 ]  3
 [ 0 3 1 2 ]  1
 [ 1 3 0 2 ]  2
   [...]
 [ 3 2 1 0 ]

{Yes, I'll enter that some day...}

> How often do we discover a sequence and lo and behold find it is already
> out there

That's what the database is made for...

> with the
> "Atta Boy" nice attached to it.

Exactly in that situation the keyword "nice" is
likely not really important to you.

> [...]
> Perhaps the word nice can go with a star * system
> similar to the movie industry.
> Eg., ***** = core, **** = nice, *** = good, ** = fair, *=poor.

No way!
Well, unless you want to nuke this list by flamewars.

> "Yes, I am opinionated but so is everyone else"

No, I am not opinionated, never!   8-))

> Have a nice day,
> Cino

Best regards,     jj