Gordian Knot

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Dec 6 23:48:45 CET 2006

Strictly speaking, no single problem (with a finite answer) can be
uncomputable - it is computed by a machine that outputs that answer.
We may not know which machine that is, but it exists.  (Intuitionists
reject this argument, of course.)  It is only a family of problems that
can be considered uncomputable.

There are algorithms known for determining whether two knots are
equivalent, which will let us determine whether our knot is a true knot
or an unknot.  The complexity level is very high.

I don't know exactly what presentation mode is required for these
algorithms - probably something like Dowker notation.  Certainly if you
present the knot simply as a function from from the circle to R^3, the
problem is undecidable - since the question of whether one real number
is larger than another is undecidable.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters