a MUCH better photo of the icosahedron

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 04:24:04 CET 2006

Jonathan Post wrote:

> "Astrological object" an interesting notion, which occurred to me
> also.  Given the the Greeks consider the dodecahedron as iconic of the
> Cosmos, and the icosahedron is its Platonic solid dual, I think they
> were making a categorical statement of morphisms between cosmologies.
> The Greeks saw the icosahedron as iconic of the element "air."
> Coincidently, "Where does it all end: Search for the shape of space"
> is the cover story in the 9-15 December New Scientist.

And it is claimed that the truncated icosahedron is responsible for the
"Self-organized breakup of Gondwana":
http://www.mantleplumes.org/EarthTess2.html
(nice application, at least...)

I will quote from John Baez, from
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/platonic.html

"Everything sufficiently beautiful is connected to all other beautiful
things!
 Follow the beauty and you will learn all the coolest stuff.
 The Platonic solids are a nice place to start."

Platonically,

Antti