(2! + 3! + 5! + ... + 53!) = prime * 2^4

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 00:46:57 CET 2006

Thank you, Dean Hickerson. That's why it was nagging at me.  Tony Noe and I
had discussed the "n>=762, prime(1)! + ... + prime(n)! is divisible by
prime(763) = 5813" fact years ago, when we were both doing things with sums
of factorials. I agree that it is somewhat contrived, and I stopped
calculating after the sum included 101!, as the increasing factorization
times did not look like a good investment on my slow, ancient PC. But, now
that you correctly advise that the sequence is finite, I wonder how many
solutions there are, and what the largest is. It is clearly much smaller
than any of the huge primes being discovered in the past decade. Artificial
as it is, at least it is not base!