smallest all-semiprime magic square

Bob Barbour bbarbour at unitec.ac.nz
Sun Dec 24 10:58:36 CET 2006

Hi Jonathan and seqfans,

Seasons Greeting from New Zealand.
Peter Loly and his team have done substantial work
enumerating magic squares.

loly at cc dot umanitoba dot ca

should get to him.

Regards,
Bob

>>> "Jonathan Post" <jvospost3 at gmail.com> 12/24/06 9:46 PM >>>
Dear Frank,

It does look as if I imposed an extra constraint on constructing
semiprime
magic squares. Interesting that it did not overconstrain and prevent
solution.

So now we have five open problems:

(1) How many different semiprime nxn magic squares are there with
maximum
element < k;

(2) What is the sequence of row sums (magic numbers) of my semiprime
magic
squares whose elements are in arithmetic sequence;

(3) Tony Noe's question: what is the smallest nxn semiprime magic square
where all elements are relatively prime;

(4) My modification of the previous: what is the smallest nxn semiprime
magic square where all elements in the same row, column, or diagonal are
relatively prime;

(5) Dr. Geoffrey Landis' question: what is the smallest semiprime magic
square whose magic number is semiprime?

Making a simple problem hard seems to be one of my specialties;)

Happy holidays,

Jonathan Vos Post