Partial endofunctions (was Re: categories)

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 03:42:21 CET 2006

Christian G. Bower,

That's an amazing theorem that you described.  I'm wrestling for a proof.

Bower's Theorem: The number of nonisomorphic partial functions a(n) on n
indistinguishable objects is the Euler transform of the sum of A002861 (the
number of connected functions on n unlabeled points, or rings and branches
with n edges), and A000081 (the number of rooted trees with n nodes (or
connected functions with a fixed point).

Related to this, A001372  (the number of mappings, or mapping patterns, from
n points to themselves, the number of endofunctions on n points) is the
Euler transform of A002861 (the number of connected functions on n unlabeled
points, or rings and branches with n edges).

This ties together a lot of important sequences.  Is there a published
proof, or is this new to you?  In either case, it certainly deserves to be
in OEIS, to begin with!

Thanks for a great Hanukkah/Christmas present, Christian!

-- Jonathan Vos Post