Partial endofunctions (was Re: categories)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Dec 25 09:17:50 CET 2006

It's simple enough.  Start with any element, and keep applying the
(partial) function if you can.  Eventually, one of two things happens:

1) You get a loop back to one of the elements you already had, or
2) You get to an element for which the function is not defined.

Now, look at everything that flows into the same limit: in case 1, you
have a connected function on some number of points, and in case 2, you
have a rooted tree.  The entire function is just some number of
independent structures of one or the other of these types - and that is
what the Euler transform counts.

I remember thinking about this some time ago, and I actually thought I
had submitted the sequence; but I can find no evidence that I did so.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters