Endofunctions by indegree

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 03:55:28 CET 2006

Dear Frank,

I have a couple of hunded handwritten and hand-drawn pages of digraphs of
endofunctions, and am waiting for my son to get back from his ski trip to do
another rewrite of our paper on them.

For each endofunction through n=7 nodes, I have a drawing, and a table
enumerating oh many cycles there are of each size through cycle length n.

By inspection I can count off the table of the number of nodes of given
number of indegrees.

Before I get too deeply into that task, and before I break for dinner (my
wife is calling me), let me be sure we're on the same page.

I can describe each (up to isomorphism) endofunction on n nodes by picking a
specific labeling from [n] = {1,2,...,n}, count indegrees of each node, and
then throw away the labels.

n=0, the null graph can formally be said to have one node with indegree
zero.

n=1, (1)->(1) has 0 nodes of indegree 0 and 1 of indegree 1.

n=2, there are 3 endofunctions:

(1,2)->(1,2) has 0 nodes of indegree 0 and 2 of indegree 1.

(1,2)->(2,2) has 1 node of indegree 0 and 1 of indegree 2.

(1,2)->(2,1) has 0 nodes of indegree 0 and 2 of indegree 1.

n=3, there are 7 endofunctions:
My notes label them A-G
The table of the number of nodes of indegree k for k = 0,1,2,3 is: