A125607: proof of an irrational constant?

Nick Hobson nickh at qbyte.org
Tue Dec 5 01:48:50 CET 2006

In my recent submission of A125607 I conjectured that the decimal constant
formed by concatenating the terms is irrational.  It seems fairly clear
that the constant will be irrational, though I don't have a proof.  For it
to be rational would require that the digits recur from some point on,
which would imply that eventually the order in which successive primes are
congruent to certain values mod 8, 10, 12, 24, and 28 repeats
indefinitely, which seems absurd!  In fact, would this not contradict
Dirichlet's asymptotic results regarding the relative frequencies of
primes of the form an + b, where gcd(a, b) = 1?  It seems it should, but I
can't quite pin it down.  If anybody has a concise proof please submit it
as a comment!

Nick