Hi

Nick Hobson nickh at qbyte.org
Tue Dec 5 01:01:24 CET 2006

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your kind words, though I don't think my site is quite in
the same league as those of Ed Pegg, Jr. and Erich Friedman!

Thanks also for your suggestion re puzzle #35.  I have added a link to
A115157 from the solution page.  Over the next few weeks I mean to go
through my site checking for relevant OIES sequences to either link to or
submit.  (With due regard for Neil's vacation!)  Though in many cases I
already have a link; e.g. to A000670 for puzzle #131.

For instance, re puzzle #152 the sequence for Euler's totient valence
function for 2^n is
a(n)=2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,32,32,32,...
.  This is quite neat in that it has a long string of consecutive
integers, before settling on the value 32!  (Assuming there are only five
Fermat primes.)  I first noticed this pattern on the MathWorld page --
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TotientValenceFunction.html, and wondered
whether it continued indefinitely.  It's not too difficult to show that it
doesn't.  A058213 references this point, so I will Cf. it.

Nick