OEIS on vacation in December

Nick Hobson nickh at qbyte.org
Tue Dec 5 23:41:08 CET 2006

At this point I should hold up my hand and admit that I recently submitted
a sequence -- http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A125239 -- that
relates to 10*triangular numbers!  Neil mildly chastised me at the time,
and mentioned that triangular numbers had recently been discussed on this
forum!  I hadn't noticed that 10T(n) had just been added to the database,
so I didn't crossreference that sequence.  What interested me was that all
divisors of 10T(n)+1 are congruent to +/-1, mod 10.  Ditto a similar
result for 6T(n)+1, whose divisors are always = 1 mod 6.  However, I
accept that the resulting sequences ("smallest prime divisor such
that...") are slightly forced and maybe of borderline interest.  Perhaps
the comment I added to http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A062786
would have been sufficient?

Similarly, it can be shown that all prime divisors of T(n)+1 different
 from 2 and 7 are congruent to 1, 9, 11, 15, 23, or 25, mod 28.  I promise
not to make a sequence out of that factoid!

I'm still trying to get a handle on what can make a "good" sequence.
Underlying mathematical concepts provide one obvious criterion.  Also,
Neil has said (http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/Spuzzle.html)
he would like the OEIS to serve as a repository of published puzzle
sequences.  Then there are sequences such as
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A115921 (numbers n such that
the digits of phi(n) are a permutation of those of n, in base 10), that
may have been submitted in response to a programming challenge.  A variant
of the puzzle sequence, I suppose.

Nick